3430 Antilley Road
Abilene, Texas 79606


Links    |    Contact Us    |    History

Wylie UMC began as a seed of thought that was planted in the hearts and minds of a small group of people in 1902. Mrs. M.V. Wylie agreed to donate 2 acres of land, with the understanding that the building would carry the Wylie name. Construction began in the summer of 1902 under the leadership of T.J. St. John and W.S. Shaw. The building was completed in the fall of 1902.

The first Sunday School was organized in 1903, with W.S. Shaw serving as the first Sunday School Superintendent. On November 27, 1904, Rev. E.L. Sisk, pastor of Caps UMC helped to organize the church with 29 charter members. Several different pastors served the church due to the fact that Caps and Wylie, and sometimes Tuscola were served by a shared minister. Occasionally, pastors even came on Saturday night and were hosted by different members' families.

In 1916, the church purchased the building from the Wylie ISD for $100. The building served the church for many years as they continued to grow. In 1927, the young married couples class saw the need for a new building in the near future, so they opened a savings account with $25 to start the new building fund. Then, in 1943, a new rock building was erected that served the church until it was destroyed by fire on February 23, 1969. After the fire, the church members decided to rebuild at the same location. The building was completed in September 1970. The Dedication was held on November 25, 1970 with Bishop Alsie H. Carlton, District Superintendent Darris Egger, and Pastor H. Clyde Smith.

An Educational Annex was added to the church and dedicated on June 11, 1972. In 1979, an additional annex was built. Rev. L. Weldon Tucker was the pastor of the church at that time. The indebtedness of the church was completely paid off by December 1982. A gymnasium and additional Sunday School rooms were added in 1985.

The membership of the church grew to the capacity of the sanctuary. This led the church to purchase a new building at 3430 Antilley Road in 1992. The church is growing and is excited about the future. Wylie United Methodist Church has had a storied history with God proving Himself to be faithful, and we believe the best is yet to come.

Original Church Building